Kampala, Uganda July 2013
Upon arrival at Entebbe International Airport team members will be met by their Ugandan host Robert Nabulere and transported to the Tick Hotel in Kampala.
The team will stay in a comfortable hotel in Kampala Uganda but, will be minutes away from one of the most densely populated slums in the world in Kawempe, with 9000 people per square kilometer within the area.
Team members will work in a temporary clinic that we will be setting up near the edge of the Kawempe slum. Our goal will be to provide primary healthcare to people who live in Kawempe, provide education to the people of the area and to work with local government health officials to provide immunizations, and get individuals connected into government programs for AIDS, tuberculosis and other endemic diseases.
To view photos from the January 2011 PHH Kampala Team please follow link:http://www.flickr.com/photos/project_helping_hands/sets/72157625977653040/
SIGHT SEEING OPPORTUNITY:
Team members will have the opportunity to visit Jinja Town which has Beautiful Waterfalls and is the source of the Nile River.
The primary focus for this team is to provide general health care and health education services. We seek licensed health care professionals including but not limited to the following!
- Nurse Practitioners
- Physician Assistants
- EMS Personnel
- Student Nurses
- Non-Medical Support Personnel
We welcome both medical and non-medical volunteers with a spirit of adventure and determination to partake in a culturally sensitive growth opportunity while helping others in need of our services. Above all you must be willing to work as a team for the common goal of our mission!
- TRIP ACTIVITY RATING: MILD (See Trip Activity rating descriptions by following this LINK)
- Amount of in-country travel: Minimal -including a trip from the airport to the Hotel (approximately 45 minutes) and daily trips of less than ten minutes from the hotel to the clinic site.
- Physical Condition: This is considered a mild team where some lifting of baggage and medical supplies may be necessary. Team members should be in fair to good physical condition.
- Sleeping arrangements: Team members will stay in a beautiful modern hotel with many amenities.
- Running water/electricity: Running water and electricity is available at the hotel, but will not be available at the clinic sites.
- Physical requirements: Team members may be exposed to heat and high humidity during the day.
Frequently Asked Questions!
What is included in the trip price?
- Round trip Domestic Airfare (from a major US airport, not a regional airport)
- Round trip International Airfare (From USA departure point to destination country)
- All in-country air and ground transportation (All transportation while in our host country)
- All applicable VISA fees
- Airport departure taxes
- Travel Insurance
- All meals and drinking water while in our host country
- Housing while in our host country (Varies depending on specific trip from Hotels to School House floors to camping)
- Project Helping Hands team shirt
- Transportation, meals and any fees associated with the one day sightseeing activity on the teams day off
What is not included in the trip price?
- Airline baggage fees
- Meals or lodging in the USA due to a forced layover
- Passport Fees
- Fees associated with vaccinations
- Personal Gear
- Personal choice food or snacks either home or abroad