Oyugis Kenya May 2013
Welcome to Kenya!
After nearly two days of air travel from the United States Team members will land in Nairobi Kenya. After a rest day they will be transported by truck/Vans on a day-long journey to the village of Oyugis in Western Kenya where they will be providing general health care and health education to the area residents.
This will be our fifth Medical team to provide services at our clinic site that became operational in 2011.
Dr. Gregg Higgins examining a child during a 2011 clinic
The team will travel via ground transport from Nairobi to Oyugis in Western Kenya
After providing about 8 days of clinics in Oyugis the team will travel on to the Masai Mara Wildlife Reserve for a Safari outing.
The primary focus for this team is to provide general health care and health education services. We seek licensed health care professionals including but not limited to the following!
- Nurse Practitioners
- Physician Assistants
- EMS Personnel
- Student Nurses
- Translators (Spanish/English)
- Non-Medical Support Personnel
We welcome both medical and non-medical volunteers with a spirit of adventure and determination to partake in a culturally sensitive growth opportunity while helping others in need of our services. Above all you must be willing to work as a team for the common goal of our mission!
- THIS TEAM IS RATED AS "MODERATE' (follow this LINK to view our rating descriptions)
- Amount of in-country travel: Moderate: there will be two days of heavy ground travel via trucks/vans in order to make the round trip from Nairobi to Oyugis and the passage through the Masai Mara Wildlife Reserve.
- Sleeping Arrangements: Team members will sleep in a simple hotel with beds and bathroom facilities.
- Running Water/Electricity: Running water and electricity is available at the hotel, but will not be available at the clinic sites.
- Physical Requirements: Team members will be asked to hike approximately 3 miles daily, each direction to and from the clinic along rough terrain. Team members may be asked to assist lifting heavy luggage. Team members should be in Moderate to Good Condition for this trip.
Frequently Asked Questions!
What is included in the trip price?
- Round trip Domestic Airfare (from a major international airport)
- Round trip International Airfare (From USA departure point to destination country)
- All in-country air and ground transportation (All transportation while in our host country)
- All applicable VISA fees
- Airport departure taxes
- Travel Insurance
- All meals and drinking water while in our host country
- Housing while in our host country (Varies depending on specific trip from Hotels to School House floors to camping)
- Project Helping Hands team shirt
- Transportation, meals and any fees associated with the one day sightseeing activity on the teams day off
What is not included in the trip price?
- Airline baggage fees
- Meals or lodging in the USA due to a forced layover
- Passport Fees
- Fees associated with vaccinations
- Personal Gear
- Personal choice food or snacks either home or abroad